Classic Books Reading List for Children
For recommendations on newer works,
visit my Pinterest page.
- The Journey That Saved Curious George Louise Borden and Allan Drummond
- Encyclopedia Prehistorica: Dinosaurs Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart
- Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving The Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley Sally Walker
- 5,000 Miles to Freedom: Ellen and William Craft’s Flight from Slavery Judith and Dennis Fradin
- The Adventures of Marco Polo, Russell Freedman
- The Adventurous Life of Myles Standish and the Amazing-But-True Survival Story of Plymouth Colony, Cheryl Harness
- Akira to Zoltan: 26 Men Who Changed the World, Cynthia Chin-Lee & Megan Halsey, II Sean Addy
- The Buffalo and the Indians: A Shared Destiny, Dorothy Hinshaw Patent, William Muñoz
- Chew On This: Everything You Don’t Want to Know About Fast Food, Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson
- Counting Coup: Becoming a Crow Chief On the Reservation and Beyond, Joseph Medicine Crow
- Catching Fire Collins, Suzanne
- The Magician’s Elephant DiCamillo, Kate
- Chaos Walking Book One: The Knife of Never Letting Go Ness, Patrick
- The Fog Mound 3: Simon’s Dream Schade, Susan and Butler, Jon
- When You Reach Me Stead, Rebecca
- Capt. Hook J.V. Hart
- Flush Carl Hiassen
- Gossamer Lois Lowry
- Skybreaker Kenneth Oppel
- Magyk: Septimus Heap, Book One Angie Sage
- Each Little Bird that Sings Deb Wiles
- Wright 3 Blue Balliett A “triangle” of friends try to work out their differences while discovering secrets, uncovering clues and trying to save a hauntingly beautiful old building from being destroyed.
- Victory Susan Cooper An old book and a flag remnant form a psychic connection between an English boy and girl who cross an ocean 200 year apart. Swashbuckling sailors, secret treasure, long-lost relatives and time travel.
- Just for You to Know Cheryl Harness Almost thirteen, Carmine’s the oldest child in her family, with five noisy little brothers, a dreamy mom, and a sometimes reckless dad. When she’s a famous artist, she’ll get away from them all!
- Crossing the Wire Will Hobbs 15-year-old Victor makes the painful decision to leave his mother and younger siblings behind in Mexico and attempt a dangerous border crossing, facing death and discovery at every turn.
- Weedflower Cynthia Kadohata Sumiko is no stranger to discrimination, especially when asked to leave a classmate’s birthday party because she is not white. But life as she knows it crumbles when Japan bombs Pearl Harbor.
- The Green Glass Sea Ellen Klages Children of world-class scientists live in a strange kind of vacuum at Los Alamos in the days before the testing of the Atom Bomb.
- Probably the World’s Best Story about a Dog and the Girl Who Loved Me D. James Smith A dog-napping, a paper route, a boy locked in his aunt’s attic, and a girl with a major crush on him threaten to keep 12-yr-old Paolo from his summer schemes.
- Anansi Boys Neal Gaiman
- Solstice Wood Patricia McKillip
- Twilight Stephanie Meyers
- Elsewhere Gabrielle Zevin
- The Book Thief Marcus Zusak
- Poems to Dream Together Francisco X. Alarcon
- Poemas Para Sonar Juntos
- Baby Mouse: the Musical Holm, Jenifer and Holm, Matthew
- Catwings LeGuin, Ursula
- Clementine’s Letter Pennypacker, Sara
- Let’s Do nothing! Fuclle, Tony
- Crazy Hair Gaiman, Neal and McKean, Dave
- Just a Dream Van Allsburg, Chris
- 365 Penguin Fromental, Jean Luc